An ankle-foot orthosis (AFO) is an orthosis or brace that surrounds the ankle and at least part of the foot. AFO’s are L shaped and are externally applied to the leg and foot. An AFO can be constructed from metal, plastic, leather, synthetic fabrics, or any combination.
Indications for AFO’s
- Control of ankle position
- Compensate for muscle weakness (drop foot) caused by a stroke, spinal cord injury, muscular dystrophy, cerebral palsy, polio, multiple sclerosis and peripheral neuropathy
- Immobilize the ankle and lower leg in the presence of arthritis or fracture
- Stabilization of the ankle and subtalar joint caused by adult acquire flat foot
- Enhance normal movement of the ankle
- Minimize abnormal gait patterns and
- Increase the efficiency of walking
The Cayden Clinic’s medically trained staff will take care of your specific needs.
Covered by most extended health care plans.